Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 3

So many people have told me that their church prayed for Ryan today, and he did seemingly have a better day. He got out of bed for the first time this morning to take a shower. One of his ankles is swollen and has several large sores, and his legs have their share of cuts and bruises. I hadn't realized that before. It hurt him to stand, and his head became very dizzy. The whole effort took a lot out of him, and he blissfully drifted off to sleep after he got back into bed and talked with the doctor.

The doctor's report hadn't changed much. He advised that another CAT scan won't be taken for a few days unless Ryan shows signs of worsening. They will, however, want to check on the progress of the brain's healing in another day or so. He couldn't say how long Ryan would have to stay in the hospital, responding with a vague "it depends on his progress" response. Lastly, he ordered physical therapy vists, and Ryan had a brief session around 4:30 today with a therapist.

Other than that, he slept. Literally slept most of the day. I couldn't tell you much about his cognition because I did not manage very many conversations with him. Sleep is a great healer, and you aren't in pain when you're sleeping. So I certainly don't begrudge him his rest. I just hope it lasts through the night. When he's awake he hurts, and while they've upped the pain meds a little, they only take the edge off his throbbing head.

Kerensa, by the way, has done very well with all the time at the hospital. We pretty much had the visitor lounge to ourselves, and she took her nap in there in her pack n play. She enjoys going in to see her daddy and wants to hug on him. She'll pat his arm and tell him 'night 'night. Her aunt Jenny came up from Oregon and spoiled her with gifts from the gift shop, and her cousin Jordan graciously indulged her requests that he play with her. I appreciated them coming so much and was sorry to see them go. Well, that's about it for now. As for me, I'm hanging in there, trying to think about just one day at a time.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad to know Ryan is sleeping better now. I'm still praying for his speedy recovery!

Katrina said...

We're still here, and still praying. You and Ryan and Kerensa are all in our thoughts; please let us know if you need anything. Paul would like to come see Ryan as soon as you feel he's up to having visitors. We love you.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could hop a plane and come help out with Kerensa and your house and things. I wish there was something I could do to be there for you. We'll be praying!

Love you!
Karen

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job even though it may be the hardest job you'll take on. Thank you for writing the updates. I hope you are able to get some rest :)